Monday 19 October 2009

Origin: The London Craft Show (part 2)


Grace Girvan - pebble brooch
On Tuesday morning we visited part 2 of Origin at Somerset House. It was the start of the week for the exhibitors so everyone was feeling chipper! I was very pleased to find some of my favourite jewellers there.


Grace Girvan - Pebble bangle
Scot, Grace Girvan showed her pebble and silver pieces, I believe the pebbles are from the Orkney's. I absolutely loved this piece which was also styled as a brooch. There is a pebble in each of the silver settings, on either face of the piece - as a brooch it is designed to have a secret stone which is worn next to the wearer's clothes. Grace was trained in Edinburgh, alongside so many of the very best jewellers currently working.
Beth Legg is another Edinburgh alumni, I had not seen her work in the flesh before and it was much finer and more beautiful than I had realised.


Beth Legg - Six Whins Neckpiece - seen here
We also enjoyed seeing Ruth Tomlinson's exquisite Encrustation and Hoard collections, delicate and weathered, as though recovered from a shipwreck or an archaeological dig.
Ruth Tomlinson - Encrustation collection - seen here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog...do join in the conversation...