Saturday 17 October 2009

Close Encounters of the Frillip Moolog Kind


Kirsty E. Smith - seen here

I went on a London odyssey last week, my main objective was to visit Origin, The London Craft Fair at Somerset House - but had an agenda to visit a few other shows en route. Firstly I headed to Westbourne Grove Church Art Space in West London to see Close Encounters of the Frillip Moolog Kind by Kirsty E. Smith - unfortunately it was closed for a birthday party so I could only peep in to the foyer through the door. I have been quite intrigued by the images and concepts from the show.

"Fascinated by the idea that objects might have a life of their own and inspired by previous narrative surrounding the found objects and textiles used in their making, Kirsty E Smith creates sculptures which resonate on a deeply emotive level and that people readily engage with. Frillip Moolog is the name which she has given to this place. Smith draws on sources as diverse as Mid-Century Modern architecture and interiors to Hollywood show biz costumes." Seen here

4 comments:

  1. Another interesting link - thankyou :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I wish I could have had a close-up look, she seems like an interesting artist...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Kathryn
    I just found out that you'd tried to visit my show. I'm so sorry thet you weren't able to get in. BUT "Close Encounters of a Frillip Moolog Kind" is now showing at Solihull Arts Complex, Solihull (Near Birmingham)Until 14th Nov. You never know you might want to venture over to the West Midlands? More details on my website www.frillipmoolog.co.uk. Infact I am presenting an Artist Talk in the gallery tomorrow night 29th Oct 6-7pm Also there are photos of the London show on my website now too. Whatever you decide please do get in touch. I especially like your "Knives" and "Gods" pieces on your website.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for getting in touch! I'll try and get to see the show in Solihull. I really like what you are doing - great website too! Thanks too for your kind comments about my work.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog...do join in the conversation...