Tuesday 1 June 2010

Gimme Shelter


Kathryn Campbell Dodd Shelter

This is my new piece of work. It is installed in woods, beside a pond, nestling amongst disused chicken and duck houses. I stopped painting as part of my practice about 5 or 6 years ago, and the old work sits in the corner of my studio. Sometimes I say that at least if I become homeless I can bang them together to make a shelter (I usually painted on mdf board). So that is what I have done. Six feet by 4 feet, the structure incorporates abandoned bits and pieces from the place where I live in the hills of west Wales. After I made the piece I slept in it for three nights to see what would happen; it was so conducive I slept like a babe.

I like this picture - these little folk look like Hansel and Gretel...

Thank you so much to my dear friend Marcus FitzGibbon for his help with the design and construction. He has made it safe for visitors and added his magic to the piece. It came together organically and easily, serendipity was on our side! I met Marcus at art school when we were 16 years old and we've always been friends. We've worked together and shared many many ventures, adventures and mis-adventures over these long years.

Kathryn Campbell Dodd - Shelter (detail)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog...do join in the conversation...