Saturday 12 June 2010

Elysium Gallery, Swansea


I've been hearing good things about Elysium Gallery's new home in Mansel Street, Swansea. Elysium is an artist led space which began life as Exposure Gallery in 2003 and evolved into Elysium Gallery in 2007. I went to see the first show in the new Mansel Street venue, After the End... today - it was the last day and I was a bit late, so things were already being taken down.

The space is just amazing. I think it's an ex-pub or club, one big space downstairs and then a labyrinth of little rooms and bigger spaces on two more floors, pierced through the centre by an old fashioned lift shaft. My pictures do not do the place justice - it's beautifully shabby and has the patina of it's former life still strongly evident, a great atmosphere and an exciting place to show art.

The show was interesting too, a response to art critic, Arthur Danto's pronouncement that art ended in the 1960's. It's a very interesting proposition - I've thought about it a lot - it's a deeply pertinent question to ask artists' to think about...

The gallery will close over the summer for the upstairs spaces to be converted into artists' studios - this means the showing space will be more limited for future shows, but I'm looking forward to the next phase.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog...do join in the conversation...