Friday 21 August 2009

El Anatsui




El Anatsui and two of his pieces Hovor and Adinkra Sasa - Images from Oriel Mostyn

This morning Oriel Mostyn sent out a photo album on Facebook of the exhibition they held in 2003 from African artist El Anatsui, it was apparently their most popular exhibition of all time. GAWU, part of a touring show that visited venues world wide, was an exhibition of the artist's metal installations and sculptures. I didn't see it - but I really wish I had! The pictures on Oriel Mostyn's page are spectacular. I've been aware of El Anatsui for a little while, but only through seeing Internet images. Using recycled materials such as liquor bottle tops, he crafts huge 'cloths' or metal tapestries 'stitched' together with wire. Each installation of the works gives a different form to them; tucked and pinned to the wall they take on incredible sculptural forms.

I've made a mental note to make sure I see one of these pieces in the flesh soon. Let me know if you hear of any being shown in UK!

Here's a lovely YouTube video about one of his pieces, Between Heaven and Earth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog...do join in the conversation...