Friday 7 August 2009

Eisteddfod Genedlaethol Cymru 2009


David Nash Cracked Box

I went to the National Eisteddfod of Wales in Bala, Gwynedd in north Wales yesterday. The sun was shining, which was a bit of a novelty this summer. I went with Meg and Mary from the gallery to see Y Lle Celf (Arts Pavilion) selected this year by Iwan Bala (Artist and Curator), Jane Gerrard (Ruthin Craft Centre), Adrian Plant (Shrewsbury Museum and Art Gallery).

This year there was a conspicuous lack of craft; it was disappointing - I felt the show's vitality suffered in its absence.

The David Nash sculptures in the first section were lovely, especially Cracking Box. The film of his wooden boulder project was delightful too. I remembered seeing his work at the fated Centre for Visual Art in Cardiff in 2000 which was a beautiful show.


Jools Johnson God is in the Detail

I came away impressed by three very modest works by Jools Johnson called God Lives in the Detail; tiny constructions that suggest architecture or city spaces. The works are made of recycled computer parts. I liked the scale of the work, the understatement, the memory it provoked of childhood ingenuity. I loved the slightly 'Star-Wars' feel of it. It was also a little bit sinister.


I enjoyed the a chrefft stand too in the main exhibition hall - Particularly Steffan Jones-Hughes' little mussel shells with tiny prints inside.



Steffan Jones-Hughes seen here

When I looked on Steffan's website I also found this image which I really like.


Steffan Jones-Hughes seen here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog...do join in the conversation...