Saturday 6 March 2010

Emmy Lou Packard


Frida Kahlo and Emmy Lou Packard in Coyoacan, Mexico in 1941 photographed by Diego Rivera

I bought this postcard the other day. Frida Kahlo - I saw the retrospective in Tate Modern in 2005, very timely for me, but also generally I think. The other woman in the image I didn't know, so I found out a bit about her today. Her name is Emmy Lou Packard and she was a mural assistant to Diego Rivera, but a prominent artist and political activist in her own right. A painter, but also an accomplished woodblock printer, her work seems incredibly fresh for today's re-visiting of mid 20th Century print designs.


Emmy Lou Packard - Seen here

2 comments:

  1. Emmy Lou Packard and her sister Clara Coffield were dear friends to my family, and Emmy Lou was instrumental in creating the town of Mendocino, in Mendocino County, California, as an artist's enclave. Emmy was one of Diego's lovers, but was also a dear friend to Frieda. She was an influential artist, and a lovely woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an emmy lou Packard artists proof that was given to me by my step grandmother. It was given to her and her second husband Norman Lapworth by emmy lou Packard herself on the occasion of them visiting her at her home in northern california. Are there any other artists proofs out there from this artist?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog...do join in the conversation...