Monday 9 May 2011

Susan Hiller

Susan Hiller - Witness 2000 - seen here























I went along to Tate Britain whilst in London for the Susan Hiller exhibition, it only runs until 15 May and it's fantastic, so do get along to see it if you can. A major survey of her 40 year career, the show takes in the sweep of her work from the dream mapping experiments and cut up paintings of the 1970's, to innovative installation experiments with sound and image and quasi-anthropological collections of objects. She explores issues of the subconscious, the unconscious, the supernatural and the uncanny with a scientific veneer derived in part from her training as an anthropologist. 

I have bought the exhibition catalogue because the show was so personally powerful and full of important references for my own practice. I'm looking forward to reading and thinking about her work and the extensive influence she has had on current practice.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting! This is my first experience with this artist & I am captivated. Thank you very much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog...do join in the conversation...